Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
a mental state marked by sadness; the lowered mood characteristic of depression.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Synonym(s): depression (4)
2. The discharge of excrementitious matter.
3. The matter so discharged. Synonym(s): dejecta
[L. dejectio, fr. de- jicio, pp. -jectus, to cast down]
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
1. Reduction of the level of functioning.
2. A hollow or sunken area.
3. Displacement of a part downward or inward.
4. A temporary mental state or chronic mental disorder characterized by feelings of sadness, loneliness, despair, low self-esteem, and self-reproach; accompanying signs include psychomotor retardation or less frequently agitation, withdrawal from social contact, and vegetative states such as loss of appetite and insomnia.
Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing © Farlex 2012
1. The discharge of excrementitious matter.
2. The matter so discharged.
[L. dejectio, fr. de-jicio, pp. -jectus, to cast down]
Medical Dictionary for the Dental Professions © Farlex 2012