Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. the formation of abnormal notching around the edge of an erythrocyte (burr cell).
2. the notched appearance of an erythrocyte due to its shrinkage after suspension in a hypertonic solution.
The process of becoming, or state of being, crenated.
1. A rounded projection, as on the margin of a shell.
2. The condition or state of being crenate.
3. A process resulting from osmosis in which red blood cells, in a hypertonic solution, undergo shrinkage and acquire a notched or scalloped surface.