Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. the formation of abnormal notching around the edge of an erythrocyte (burr cell).
2. the notched appearance of an erythrocyte due to its shrinkage after suspension in a hypertonic solution.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
The process of becoming, or state of being, crenated.
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
1. A rounded projection, as on the margin of a shell.
2. The condition or state of being crenate.
3. A process resulting from osmosis in which red blood cells, in a hypertonic solution, undergo shrinkage and acquire a notched or scalloped surface.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.