Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.


Made complex; denoting a disease on which a morbid process or event has been superimposed, thus altering symptoms and modifying its course for the worse.
[L. com-plico, pp. -atus, to fold together]
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012


Made complex; denoting a disease on which a morbid process or event has been superimposed, thus altering symptoms and modifying its course for the worse.
[L. com-plico, pp. -atus, to fold together]
Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing © Farlex 2012

Patient discussion about complicated

Q. What Are the Complications of Obesity? Why is obesity so dangerous? What are the possible complications of being obese?

A. Excessive body weight has been shown to predispose to various diseases, particularly cardiovascular diseases, diabetes mellitus type 2, sleep disturbances (sleep apnea) and osteoarthritis. Obesity is one of the major risk factors for developing a heart attack, as well as hypertension and stroke. It is also a risk factor for breast, colon, prostate cancer and other malignancies. It is known that losing weight helps to reduce the risk of suffering from these diseases.

Q. What Are the Complications of Alcoholism? What is the damage and complications cause by alcoholism?

A. the complications very by each individual,everyone is different,but alcoholism it not only hurts you, but it hurts everyone around you also,your playing with a loaded gun.

Q. What are the complications of osteoarthritis? I have been suffering from osteoarthritis for over a year now. What are the complications of this disease?

A. Osteoarthritis, as other chronic arthritic diseases, has a very debilitating influence, due to the great pain people often suffer from. It sometimes becomes impossible to walk or stand up, and thus it lead to less movement, weight gain, development of blood clots and venous stasis. The emotional stress can be very debilitating as well.

More discussions about complicated
This content is provided by iMedix and is subject to iMedix Terms. The Questions and Answers are not endorsed or recommended and are made available by patients, not doctors.
References in periodicals archive ?
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition (DSM-5) has conceptualized complicated grief with the name, persistent complex bereavement disorder (PCBD).
One third of children affected have a more complicated form of appendicitis which requires a longer hospital stay and sometimes several surgeries.
However, separate analysis of the three groups showed that the WBCC was significantly higher in patients with simple AA that in those with no AA, and that patients with complicated AA had higher values than those in the other two groups.
Complicated grief affects about 7% of bereaved individuals.
* The report provides a snapshot of the global therapeutic landscape of Complicated Skin And Skin Structure Infections (cSSSI)
Uncomplicated cases accounted for 18.939 of subjects (69.9%), and complicated appendicitis was recorded in the remaining 8.367 (30.1%) of children.
She said the risk of complicated grief is greatest in people, like my friend, who lose a lifelong partner and even higher when a child is lost.
It is an indicator of just how hard dealing with tax can be when 80 per cent of AAT members, experts at navigating through the intricacies of tax compliance, state that the UK tax system is too complicated. Making the tax system simpler could help to lift this weight, diminishing the costs."
"People with complicated grief often feel shocked, stunned or emotionally numb, and they may become estranged from others because of the belief that happiness is inextricably tied to the person who died,'' wrote Shear, of the Columbia University School of Social Work and College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Table 1 shows that 65% cases were complicated (severe) and 35% were uncomplicated malaria.
According to The Age, Benaud added his weight to the growing opposition to the DRS, calling it too complicated and adding that if it is too complicated for him, then it must be very complicated for the 'folk on the hill'.