cocaine cardiotoxicityA generic term for the direct and indirect effects of cocaine on the heart.
Chest pain, tachycardia, hypertension, acute myocardial infarction (MI), ventricular arrhythmia, asystole, congestive heart failure, sudden death due to cardiovascular collapse.
• Arrhythmias Conduction defects
• Acute MI Coronary arterial spasm; intimal hyperplasia.
• Catecholamine effects Contraction band necrosis, myocardial fibrosis, and arrhythmias.
Vasoconstriction and direct cardiac toxicity.
Cocaine, acute effects
Contraction bands and necrosis.
Cocaine, chronic effects
• LV hypertrophy
• Fibrosis—patchy and irregular
• Intramyocardial arterial medial thickening.