Also found in: Dictionary, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
clinical governanceA framework under which NHS bodies in the UK are accountable for continuously monitoring and improving the quality of their services and safeguarding high standards of care by creating an environment in which excellence in clinical care should flourish. Clinical governance is promulgated by the Commission for Health Improvement.
The 5 Themes of Clinical Governance
(i) Leadership, strategy and planning; identifiable clinical governance lead
(ii) Public and patient involvement
(iii) Quality improvement processes
(iv) Staff focus
(v) Use of information.
The Contractual Components
1) Patient and public involvement
2) Clinical audit
3) Risk management
4) Clinical effectiveness programmes
5) Staffing and staff management
6) Education, training and CPD
7) Use of information to support clinical governance and health care delivery.