cicatrize

(redirected from cicatrized)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Related to cicatrized: cheloid

cicatrize

(sĭk′ə-trīz′)
tr. & intr.v. cica·trized, cica·trizing, cica·trizes
To heal or become healed by the formation of scar tissue.

cic′a·tri·za′tion (-trĭ-zā′shən) n.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Patient discussion about cicatrize

Q. except for for the scars, are there any more consequence to burns? 10 years ago i was burned in my face and right hand from boiling water. i was hospitalized and was treated with skin grafts from my thighs. In the last four weeks I feel a strange feeling in my scar. Its hard to describe the exact feeling but it kind of a painful lump inside my flesh. 10 years After that accident can it be that my body is still not over this injury?

A. burn scars have 3 optional ways of evolving.
a) nothing happens - shouldn't hurt at all (this is by far the most common situation)
b) nerve trapping (which happened to me. Its usually begins months after the burn and not years. and you dont have a lump)
c) skin cancer from the scar. this is a rare syndrome but you must go to your GP do exclude it. its called marjolin ulcer.

Q. what should i do if i got burned from boiling water? how should i take care of my self? will i get a scar?

A. ooooOOOooo! i hope you are asking a hypothetic question... a friend wife of mine still got scars from a boiling water accident a few years back. anyway, here is a site that gives instructions on how to react after burns. boiling water is probably second degree burns:
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/healthy/firstaid/after-injury/638.html

More discussions about cicatrize
This content is provided by iMedix and is subject to iMedix Terms. The Questions and Answers are not endorsed or recommended and are made available by patients, not doctors.
References in periodicals archive ?
74% and 12 cases were due to cicatrized duodenal ulcer, i.e.
So with the advent of recent anti-ulcer drugs cicatrized duodenal ulcer decreased.
(2) The incidence of gastric outlet obstruction secondary to cicatrized duodenal ulcer in Misra S P et al series, (3) is 76%, which is more than present series.
Blood group 'O' was common in cicatrized duodenal ulcer patients [77.7%] followed by blood group 'A' [11.1%].
32 cases [64%] had pyloric antral Carcinoma in which 23 cases had fungating growth and the rest 9 had ulcerative growth and 18[36%] had cicatrized duodenal ulcer.
In the present series, 100% of cicatrized duodenal ulcer patients underwent truncal vagotomy with posterior gastrojejunostomy as in the study by Hyasinta Jaka et al.
In Cicatrized duodenal ulcer, 16 of 17 patients (94.1%) underwent truncal vagotomy with posterior gastrojejunostomy, 1 case underwent truncal vagotomy with antrectomy.
DISCUSSION: IN our study conducted over a period of two years, the incidence of Carcinoma pyloric antrum and cicatrized duodenal ulcer were equal (17 patients), while in study by Harold Ellis [5] series and Balint Spence [6] series incidence of gastric outlet obstruction secondary to cicatrized duodenal ulcer was more common than Carcinoma Pyloric Antrum.
Malignancy and benign cicatrized duodenal ulcer being the most common cause.
Table 1: Distribution according to etiologies of gastric outlet obstruction Causes Number of patients Percent (%) Carcinoma Pyloric Antrum 17 41.5 Cicatrized Duodenal ulcer 17 41.5 Extrinsic compression 4 10 Corrosive injury 3 7 Total 41 100 Table 2: Distribution of patients according to smoking and alcohol habits Disease Smoking Alcohol Total Antral cancer 12(70.6%) 10(58.9%) 17 (100%) Duodenal ulcer 13(76.5%) 12(70.6%) 17 (100%) Others 2(28.6%) 3(42.9%) 7 (100%) Table 3: Frequency of Signs Signs Total No.