chalaza(redirected from chalazae)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Synonym(s): chalazion
2. Suspensory ligament of the yolk in a bird's egg.
[G. hail; a small tubercle, a sty (Galen)]
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
n. pl. chala·zae (-zē) or chala·zas
1. Biology One of two spiral bands of tissue in an egg that connect the yolk to the lining membrane at either end of the shell.
2. Botany The region of an ovule that is opposite the micropyle, where the integuments and nucellus are joined.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
- the basal part of the OVULE of a flowering plant to which the FUNICLE is attached, and through which the pollen tube sometimes enters the ovule prior to fertilization.
- one of an opposite pair of spiral bands in the white of a bird's egg which suspend the yolk within the shell to prevent it from being damaged.
Collins Dictionary of Biology, 3rd ed. © W. G. Hale, V. A. Saunders, J. P. Margham 2005