pearl(redirected from castingpearls before swine)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to castingpearls before swine: Making a mountain out of a molehill
1. a smooth lustrous deposit found in certain mollusks, valued as a gem.
2. something resembling this structure, either because of being round and hard or because of being considered valuable.
3. a small medicated granule, or a glass globule with a single dose of volatile medicine, as amyl nitrite.
4. a rounded mass of tough sputum, as seen in the early stages of an attack of asthma.
clinical pearl a short, straightforward piece of clinical advice.
epidermic p's (epithelial p's) rounded concentric masses of epithelial cells found in certain papillomas and epitheliomas.
Laënnec's p's soft casts of the smaller bronchial tubes expectorated in bronchial asthma; see also Curschmann's spirals.
Raymond, U.S. biologist, 1879-1940. See: Pearl index.
1. A concretion formed around a grain of sand or other foreign body within the shell of certain mollusks.
2. One of a number of small tough masses, for example, mucus occurring in the sputum in asthma.
3. Synonym(s): keratin pearl
1. a small rounded mass or body.
2. a rounded mass of tough sputum as seen in the early stages of an attack of bronchial asthma.
epidermic pearls , epithelial pearls rounded concentric masses of epithelial cells found in squamous cell carcinomas.
Laënnec's pearls soft casts of the smaller bronchial tubes expectorated in bronchial asthma.
Psychiatric Emergency, Assessment, and Referral & Liaison. A service developed by the Manchester Mental Health & Social Care Trust, which was designed to address the fragmented services received after-hours by patients needing emergency mental health services in Manchester (UK).
Postmenopausal Evaluation And Risk Reduction with Lasofoxifene. A study designed to assess:
Primary outcomes—safety and efficacy of lasofoxifene in reducing the risk of osteoporotic fractures; and
Secondary outcomes—incidence of breast cancer, coronary events and hospitalisations for cerebrovascular disease.
Long-term lasofoxifene treatment results in benign endometrial changes that do not increase the risk for endometrial cancer or hyperplasia in postmenopausal women.
Randomised, international, double-blind, placebo-controlled; 7500 women.
PEARL™Physiologic Endometrial Ablation/Resection Loop A method for resection and ablation procedures using isotonic irrigation–eg, normal saline, eliminating complications associated with non-isotonic irrigation systems which may occur when the tissues absorb irrigation solutions
One of a number of small, tough masses (e.g., mucus occurring in the sputum in asthma).
1. a small medicated granule, or a glass globule with a single dose of volatile medicine, as amyl nitrite.
2. a rounded mass of tough sputum, as seen in the early stages of an attack of bronchial asthma.
calcification of the nodular lesions of pleural tuberculosis in cattle.
small rounded masses of enamel adherent to the dentine of a tooth.
rounded concentric masses of epithelial cells found in certain papillomas and epitheliomas and as epithelial remnants of the dental lamina in the gingiva and jaws where they may give rise to cysts and tumors. Called also epithelial pearls.
see epidermic pearls (above).
see horn pearls.