cancer data set
cancer data setA cluster of objective measurements and histopathological data that should be collected on every cancer diagnosed in the UK except for routine basal cell carcinomas. The cancer data set initiative is part of the National Cancer Plan (Department of Health, 2000), presenting the central government's strategy for investment and reform across the NHS, giving cancer services highest priority.
Cancer data set goals:
• Achieve consistent terminology and content in histopathology reports to facilitate liaison in multidisciplinary teams (MDTs) and collaboration between cancer units and centres.
• Help patient management by providing the histopathological data needed for informed clinical decision-making by the MDT.
• Provide accurate prognostic information for the patient and clinician.
• Create a common database for clinical audit and effectiveness and provide feedback to clinicians with regard to treatment quality.
• Provide accurate data for cancer registration.
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.