bloat , bloating (blōt, blōt'ing),
1. Abdominal distention from swallowed air or intestinal gas from fermentation.
2. Distention of the rumen of cattle, caused by the accumulation of gases of fermentation, particularly likely to occur when the animals are pastured on rich legume grasses; if unrelieved, the condition may quickly lead to death.
3. In dogs, gastric dilatation (dilation) or bloat may progress to gastric dilatation and volvulus (GDV), an often life-threatening torsion of the stomach resulting in circulatory compromise to the organ. The spleen may also be drawn into a torsion. Simple bloat (dilatations) are more common in deep-chested large or giant breed dogs.
1. tympany of the rumen, abomasum, stomach or cecum. See also ruminal tympany.
2. enteritis in young rabbits accompanied by distention of the abdomen.
appears at the point at which the cervical esophagus becomes the thoracic. At this line the engorged esophageal mucosa of the neck becomes the pallid mucosa of the thorax.
ruminal tympany caused by frothiness of the ruminal contents.
ruminal tympany secondary to physical or functional obstruction of the esophagus.
a device for temporarily relieving a cow with chronic bloat from dangerous overdistention. The bottom half of the device shaped as a flanged cannula is slipped into the rumen through a slit incision in the left flank. The small end of the cannula protrudes through the abdominal wall and is secured into place by slipping the top half of the device over it and screwing it tight.
Patient discussion about bloat
Q. why do i have gas and bloating my bowels are weird and my stomach is sour also. i have pain in the top of my stomach
A. There are many different things that can cause them. Do you also suffer from diarrhea? Do you have diabetes? Do you have pain that is relieved by eating or after going to the bathroom?
Among the more common causes there are IBS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irritable_bowel_syndrome), diabetes, malabsorption (e.g. lactose intolerance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance or celiac http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease), all of these, unfortunately, can't be diagnosed over the net, so if it keeps bothering you or if you have warning sign (such as Nocturnal abdominal pain (sleep awakening), Weight loss, Blood in the stool , Severely tender abdomen , Succussion splash , Fever , Vomiting , fatty diarrhea , New onset diarrhea) you should see a doctor.
Q. Why am I feeling so bloated all the time? I did a pregnancy test 2 weeks ago and it came out negative, i have been experiencing a bunch of symptoms that relate to pregnancy and the spotting on and off has started wondering if i should do another test and see what comes out of it..
A. Home pregnancy tests are not 100% accurate. Either because their own limitations or because limitation of the use of them (e.g. testing too early, misunderstanding the instructions etc.). You may try to do the pregnancy test again and see the results now. Anyway, even if you receive positive results in the second test, it should be validated by a test performed by a doctor.
You can read more about pregnancy tests here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003432.htm
Q. has anyone expierienced extreme bloating from diverticulitus and what can you do to get relief?
A. what do you mean in bloating? do you have constipation? i know that my father has diverticulitis, he had a surgery , very scary times. More discussions about bloat
but he is O.K. now, eat alot of fibers, drink alot of fluids and doing daily exercise (past 2 and a half years now). and he feels great. much much better.