Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to bleeder: hemophilia, Bleeder resistor
1. any blood vessel cut during surgery that requires clamping, cautery, or ligature.
2. slang term, now considered offensive, referring to a person who bleeds freely, especially one suffering from a condition in which the blood fails to clot properly, such as hemophilia.
1. Colloquialism for anyone suffering from hemophilia, Christmas disease, Osler disease, or another clotting disorder.
2. A blood vessel cut during a surgical procedure.
1. one who bleeds freely.
2. any blood vessel cut during surgery that requires clamping, ligature, or cautery.
1. A person, such as a hemophiliac, who bleeds freely or is subject to frequent hemorrhages.
a. Slang A blood vessel from which there is uncontrolled bleeding.
b. A blood vessel severed by trauma or surgery that requires cautery or ligature to arrest the flow of blood.
3. A person who draws blood from another; a phlebotomist.
Usage notes: (informal)
1 a person who has hemophilia or any other vascular or hematologic condition associated with a tendency to hemorrhage.
2 a blood vessel that bleeds, especially one cut during a surgical procedure.
(1) An actively haemorrhaging patient
(2) A patient whose marrow has been ravaged by chemotherapy, and is thus highly susceptible to bleeding due to marked thrombocytopenia—e.g., < 10,000 platelets/mm3
(3) An overtly haemorrhaging blood vessel in an operative or endoscopic field
Vox populi Phlebotomist
1. An actively hemorrhaging Pt.
2. A Pt whose BM has been ravaged by chemotherapy, and is thus highly susceptible to bleeding due to marked thrombocytopenia–eg, < 10,000 platelets/mm3.
3. An overtly hemorrhaging blood vessel in an operative or endoscopic field. Cf 'Clotter' Vox populi Phlebotomist, see there.
1. A person with a hemorrhagic disease.
2. A blood vessel severed during surgery.
1. A person with HAEMOPHILIA or other bleeding disorder.
2. A person unduly prone to bleed.
3. A surgeon's term for an artery cut during an operation.
A blood vessel cut during a surgical procedure.
1. the popular term for an animal who bleeds freely, especially one suffering from a condition in which the blood fails to clot properly such as in hemophilia. In horses the term means one which bleeds from the nostrils during a race. Such horses are not allowed to participate in races. See also epistaxis.
2. any large blood vessel cut during surgery.