Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. any blood vessel cut during surgery that requires clamping, cautery, or ligature.
2. slang term, now considered offensive, referring to a person who bleeds freely, especially one suffering from a condition in which the blood fails to clot properly, such as hemophilia.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Colloquialism for anyone suffering from hemophilia, Christmas disease, Osler disease, or another clotting disorder.
2. A blood vessel cut during a surgical procedure.
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
1. A person, such as a hemophiliac, who bleeds freely or is subject to frequent hemorrhages.
a. Slang A blood vessel from which there is uncontrolled bleeding.
b. A blood vessel severed by trauma or surgery that requires cautery or ligature to arrest the flow of blood.
3. A person who draws blood from another; a phlebotomist.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
(1) An actively haemorrhaging patient
(2) A patient whose marrow has been ravaged by chemotherapy, and is thus highly susceptible to bleeding due to marked thrombocytopenia—e.g., < 10,000 platelets/mm3
(3) An overtly haemorrhaging blood vessel in an operative or endoscopic field
Vox populi Phlebotomist
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. An actively hemorrhaging Pt.
2. A Pt whose BM has been ravaged by chemotherapy, and is thus highly susceptible to bleeding due to marked thrombocytopenia–eg, < 10,000 platelets/mm3.
3. An overtly hemorrhaging blood vessel in an operative or endoscopic field. Cf 'Clotter' Vox populi Phlebotomist, see there.
McGraw-Hill Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. A person with a hemorrhagic disease.
2. A blood vessel severed during surgery.
Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing © Farlex 2012
1. A person with HAEMOPHILIA or other bleeding disorder.
2. A person unduly prone to bleed.
3. A surgeon's term for an artery cut during an operation.
Collins Dictionary of Medicine © Robert M. Youngson 2004, 2005
A blood vessel cut during a surgical procedure.
Medical Dictionary for the Dental Professions © Farlex 2012