Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to biological: biological clock, Biological anthropology, Biological factors, Biological psychology, Biological species concept
1. pertaining to biology.
2. a medicinal preparation made from living organisms and their products, such as a serum or vaccine.
biological clock the physiologic mechanism that governs the rhythmic occurrence of certain biochemical, physiologic, and behavioral phenomena in living organisms. See also biological rhythms.
A diagnosic, pregentive, or therapeutic preparation derived or obtained from living organisms and their product, for example, serum, vaccine, antigen, antitoxin.
1. Of, relating to, caused by, or affecting life or living organisms: biological processes such as growth and digestion.
2. Having to do with biology.
3. Related by genetic lineage: the child's biological parents; his biological sister.
4. Being male or female by having the chromosomes for that sex: a biological female.
5. Of or relating to biological weapons: biological warfare.
biologicaladjective Referring to biology; biologic.
noun Biologic. Any of a number of FDA-regulated agents—e.g., antitoxins, antisera, vaccines and blood plasma products—prepared from donor pools or obtained directly from various living organisms, often mammals. They are not amenable to the chemical or physical standardisation steps required of pharmaceuticals; they are impure chemically and safety cannot be assumed.
biologicaladjective Referring to biology noun Therapeutics Biologic Any of a number of FDA-regulated agents–eg antitoxins, antisera, vaccines, and blood plasma products prepared from donor pools or obtained directly from various living organisms–often mammals; they are not amenable to the chemical or physical standardization steps required of pharmaceuticals; they are impure chemically; safety cannot be assumed. See Antisera, Antitoxins, Vaccines.
A compound or medicine derived from living products, rather than chemicals (e.g., serum, antivenin).
bi·o·log·ic, biological (bī'ŏ-loj'ik, -i-kăl)
Relating to biology.