Basal acid output | definition of basal acid output by Medical dictionary
basal acid output
basal acid output (BAO)
the minimum amount of gastric hydrochloric acid produced by an individual in a given period. Normal adult volume is 2 to 5 mEq/hr. It is used infrequently in the diagnosis of various diseases of the stomach and intestines, such as gastric ulcers and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
basal acid output Production of gastric H+ under baseline conditions, normal: 0-10 mmol/hour. The BAO serves to evaluate the completeness of vagotomy; patients with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome have a ratio of basal to maximal acid output (BAO:MAO) of > 60%. BAO is also increased in pernicious anaemia, gastric cancer, myxoedema and rheumatoid arthritis.
basal acid output BAO Production of gastric H+ under baseline conditions, normal: 0-10 mmol/hr; BAO serves to evaluate the completeness of vagotomy; Pts with Zollinger-Ellison syndrome have a ratio of basal to maximal acid output–BAO/MAO of > 60%; BAO is also ↑ in pernicious anemia, gastric CA, myxedema, rheumatoid arthritis. Cf MAO, PAO.
References in periodicals archive
The basal acid output in normal Indians is significantly lower (~ pH 3.
Comparison of basal acid output in different populations Basal acid output * Duodenal Control ulcer Delhi Present 2.
The twelve-month, open-label trial demonstrated that NEXIUM effectively maintains basal acid output
control in this patient population.
The results showed that at 12 months, NEXIUM 40 mg twice daily controlled basal acid output
(AO) in 14 study participant (67 percent), NEXIUM 80 mg twice daily was required to control AO in 4 study participants (19 percent), and NEXIUM 80 mg given three times daily maintained AO in 1 study participant.
- Baruch law
- Baruch sign
- Baruch, Simon
- Baruch's law
- Barwon lucerne
- Baryta carbonica
- baryta water
- Bas rouge
- basal acid output
- basal age
- basal anesthesia
- basal atelectasis
- basal body
- basal body temperature
- basal body temperature method of family planning
- basal bone
- basal cell
- basal cell acanthoma
- basal cell adenoma
- Basal cell cancer
- basal cell carcinoma
- basal cell carcinoma, adenoid type
- basal cell carcinoma, basosquamous type
- basal cell carcinoma, cystic type
- basal cell carcinoma, fibroepithelioma type
- basal cell carcinoma, infiltrating type
- basal cell carcinoma, infundibulocystic type
- basal cell carcinoma, keratotic type
- basal cell carcinoma, metatypical type
- basal cell carcinoma, micronodular type
- basal cell carcinoma, nodular type
- basal cell carcinoma, pigmented type
- basal cell carcinoma, sclerosing type
- basal cell carcinoma, solid type