atypical Spitz nevus
atypical Spitz nevusA Spitz-nevus-like tumour of the skin with one or more atypical features, for which prudent pathologists would recommend close followup.
Spitz nevus features—classical vs atypical
• Size—< 10 mm vs > 10 mm.
• Symmetry—Symmetrical vs Asymmetrical.
• Lateral borders—Sharply demarcated vs Poorly demarcated.
• Deep border—Rounded, pushing vs Infiltrative.
• Cellularity—Variable vs Clustered cells in dermis.
• Irregular nesting—Rare vs Common.
• Deep extension—Rare vs Common.
• Expansile nodule—Rare vs Common.
• Deep mitoses—Rare vs Common.
• Ulceration—Rare vs Variable.
• Maturation/zonation—Common vs Rare.
• Kamino bodies—Common vs Rare.
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.