asphyxia neonatorum


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.

as·phyx·i·a ne·o·na·to·rum

(as-fik'sē-ă nē-ō-nā-to'rum)
Asphyxia occurring in the newborn.
Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing © Farlex 2012

asphyxia neonatorum

A dated term for respiratory failure in the newborn.
See also: asphyxia
Medical Dictionary, © 2009 Farlex and Partners
References in periodicals archive ?
Of these 40 (39 + 1) cases, 24 (60%) were originally classified as having asphyxia neonatorum, with 11 of the 24 (45.8%) ultimately classified as having poor outcome [8 with HIE and 3 with postnatal death (PND)]; the remaining 13 cases (54.2%) were classified as having a good outcome.
(6.) Batra A, Sengupta A, Kumar A, Bhargawa Sk, Das SK, A study of asphyxia neonatorum. J obstet gynec india 1988, 38; 162-6.
More than 100 years have elapsed since the publication of a classic paper by Little 1861 (6) on asphyxia neonatorum. Since then many clinical, pathological and experimental studies have been carried out to link various neurological abnormalities to specific disorder of gestation or the neonatal period.