apomict


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to apomict: apomixis

apomict

any plant which is produced by APOMIXIS.
References in periodicals archive ?
Dennis says several pasture grasses, such as Pennisetum and the maize relative Tripsicum, arc facultative apomicts. Like most grasses, they are wind pollinated, but if the wind doesn't deliver, they can fall back on apomixis.
Prostrate is an obligate apomict (Bashaw and Holt, 1958) and a tetraploid with 40 chromosomes that associate as 10 bivalents and 20 univalents during meiosis (Bashaw et al., 1970).
Consequently, all cells, including the egg cell, in the mature female gametophyte of an apomict have an unreduced chromosome number (2n).
Caliber is a facultative apomict with approximately 90% of its progeny appearing genetically identical to the maternal parent.
Blackstone is a facultative apomict with approximately 95% of its progeny appearing to be genetically identical to the maternal parent.
Representative plants in the space plant nursery from both the open-pollinated and self-pollinated seed sources indicated that Reveille is a facultative apomict with 12% (3 out of 25) offtype plants observed in both seed sources.
alcalinum accession behaved as an obligate apomict. Among the mature ovules, 88% had one or more aposporous sacs, whereas the female gametophyte had deteriorated in the other 12% (Table 4).
If this hypothesis is correct, then the addition of reproductive signals to an apomict by adding additional genomes through wide hybridization could either enhance or inhibit apomixis by either enhancing or inhibiting the balance of asynchronously expressed signals.
(1991) documented an absence of callose in apomeiotic MMCs of the diplosporous facultative apomict E.
Apomicts reproduce clonally through seeds, including apomeiosis, parthenogenesis, and autonomous or pseudogamous endosperm formation.