ape(redirected from aper)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of various tailless Old World primates of the superfamily Hominoidea, including the gibbons, orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, and humans.
2. Any of various members of this superfamily bearing fur and usually living in the wild, especially orangutans, gorillas, and chimpanzees, in contrast to humans. Not in scientific use.
3. A tailed primate such as a monkey. Not in scientific use.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
• Small apes—gibbons and siamangs
• Great apes—orangutans, gorillas, and chimpanzees
The ape brain is structurally similar to the human brain and is capable of advanced reasoning
(2) APE. A multifunctional enzyme involved in DNA repair and in facilitating the redox state of some DNA-binding proteins de novo
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
apeany tailless primate of the family Simiidae, including gorillas, chimpanzees, orangutans and gibbons.
Collins Dictionary of Biology, 3rd ed. © W. G. Hale, V. A. Saunders, J. P. Margham 2005