Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
de·hy·dra·tion(dē'hī-drā'shŭn), Avoid the jargonistic use of this word as a synonym of thirst.
1. Deprivation of water. Synonym(s): anhydration
2. Reduction of water content.
3. Synonym(s): exsiccation (2)
4. Synonym(s): desiccation
5. Used commonly in emergency departments to describe a state of water loss sufficient to cause intravascular volume deficits leading to orthostatic symptoms.
1. Deprivation of water.
2. Process of losing body water, progressing either from the hyperhydrated state to euhydration or from euhydration downward to hypohydration.
3. Synonym(s): exsiccation (2) .
4. Synonym(s): desiccation.