Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
de·hy·dra·tion(dē'hī-drā'shŭn), Avoid the jargonistic use of this word as a synonym of thirst.
1. Deprivation of water. Synonym(s): anhydration
2. Reduction of water content.
3. Synonym(s): exsiccation (2)
4. Synonym(s): desiccation
5. Used commonly in emergency departments to describe a state of water loss sufficient to cause intravascular volume deficits leading to orthostatic symptoms.
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
1. Deprivation of water.
2. Process of losing body water, progressing either from the hyperhydrated state to euhydration or from euhydration downward to hypohydration.
3. Synonym(s): exsiccation (2) .
4. Synonym(s): desiccation.
Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing © Farlex 2012