alinement(redirected from aline)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
alignment, alinement (ă-līn′mĕnt) [Fr. aligner, to put in a straight line]
1. The act of arranging in a straight line.
2. The state of being arranged in a straight line.
3. In orthopedics, the placing of portions of a fractured bone into correct anatomical position.
4. The anatomical presentation of one structure to another, such as opposing joint surfaces.
5. In dentistry, bringing teeth into correct position.
6. In radiography, the positioning of a body part in correct relation to the radiographic source and receiver.
7.. In chiropractic, the manipulation of the spine to restore it to a healthy anatomic position.
Medical Dictionary, © 2009 Farlex and Partners