alfalfa sprout


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to alfalfa sprout: bean sprout

alfalfa sprout

The initial growth from the germinated seeds of the legume alfalfa, eaten as a source of vegetable protein.
See also: sprout
References in periodicals archive ?
Case-patients were significantly more likely to have eaten alfalfa sprouts than matched controls (27/32 versus 5/32, crude odds ratio [OR] = 29.2, 95% confidence interval [CI] = 7.6-112.4).
Mbandaka provided a leftover sample of sprout X brand alfalfa sprouts. Cultures from this sample subsequently grew S.
In addition, questions were asked about the consumption of selected food items such as alfalfa sprouts and salad during the time period including the 7 days before the onset of illness in the matched patient.
Salad containing alfalfa sprouts, chicory and tomatoes twice a week.
Of 30 case-patients, 18 (60%) reported eating alfalfa sprouts within 7 days of illness onset, compared with three (5%) of 59 controls during a similar time (matched odds ratio [MOR]=32.1; 95% confidence interval [CI]=5.8-678).
The sprouts come in 5-ounce, clamshell-shaped packages labeled as "Fresh Alfalfa Sprouts," "Gourmet Salad Sprouts" and "Fresh Alfalfa and Oregon Onion Sprouts" at grocery stores.
In 1994, two large outbreaks of salmonellosis were linked to alfalfa sprouts (282 cases in Sweden and 210 cases in Finland) (9).
But you can grow crunchy alfalfa sprouts in just five days.
Shopping for alfalfa sprouts the other day, I was reminded of the radical statement these green wisps made in the '60s and '70s.
The company's Alfalfa Sprouts sold in 115g packets, Alfalfa Radish Sprouts sold in 115g packets, and Alfalfa and Broccoli Sprouts sold in 113g packets, all with the best before dates of July 21, 24 and 28, have been withdrawn from the shelves.
The state Department of Human Services on Saturday announced a recall of Harmony Farms brand alfalfa sprouts from stores in Oregon and Southwest Washington after nine people were infected with salmonella serotype Saintpaul.
coli O157:H7 infections have been linked to ground beef (8), but other items, including unrefrigerated sandwiches (9), apple cider (10), mayonnaise (11), cantaloupe (12), lettuce (13), and alfalfa sprouts (14,15) have been implicated.