adjust(redirected from adjustable)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms.
Related to adjustable: adjustable wrench
v. ad·justed, ad·justing, ad·justs
1. In chiropractic medicine, to manipulate (the spine and other body structures) to treat disorders and restore normal function of the nervous system.
2. To decide how much is to be paid on (an insurance claim).
ad·just′er, ad·jus′tor n.
adjust(ă-jŭst′) [Fr. ajuster, to gauge]
1. To adapt to a different environment; to cope with new conditions or stressors.
2. To change or modify something, esp. to improve its function or condition.
3. To manipulate a part of the body, e.g., with physical force.
To reshape a dental prosthesis, restoration, or oral appliance to improve effectiveness, function, or appearance.