Adapticnoun A clear occlusive non-adhering wound dressing made of knitted cellulose acetate fabric and impregnated with a specially formulated petrolatum emulsion, which is designed to help protect the wound while preventing the dressing from adhering to it.
Pros Prevents dressing adherence, protects regenerating tissue and minimises pain and trauma during dressing changes, prevents pooling of fluid at the wound site, exudate passes easily through to the secondary absorbent dressing lying on top, can be cut to wound size without unravelling and shredding, can be easily removed to monitor the site for infection and inflammation.
Adaptic Indications Dry to heavily exuding wounds where dressing adherence and exudate are to be prevented including:
• 1st and 2nd degree burns
• Reconstructive procedures
• Skin grafts
• Venous ulcers
• Pressure (decubitus) ulcers
• Finger or toenail extractions
• Covering of staple closures
• Covering of surgical incisions
• Covering of suture lines
• Covering of epidural insertion
• Covering of arterial line insertion