accelerated phase of leukaemia(redirected from accelerated leukaemia)
accelerated phase of leukaemiaA progressive phase of chronic myelogenous leukaemia, characterised by 6% to 30% blasts in the bone marrow, peripheral blood are higher than in chronic leukaemia (i.e., higher than in the chronic phase, but less than in the blast phase), and accompanied by an increased number of chromosomal defects.
WHO criteria, accelerated phase of leukemia
• 10–19% myeloblasts in peripheral blood or bone marrow;
• >20% basophils in peripheral blood or bone marrow;
• Platelet count <100,000, unrelated to therapy;
• Platelet count >1,000,000, unresponsive to therapy;
• Cytogenetic evolution with new mutations, plus the Philadelphia chromosome; or
• Increased splenomegaly or white blood cell count, unresponsive to therapy.
Accelerated phase is defined as any of the above
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.