Patient discussion about poisoning

!!! The questions and answers on this page are written by patients and are not reviewed by health professionals.

Q. How Do You Treat Food Poisoning?

I've been suffering from food poisoning for the last two days, is there a way to treat it? Is there specific food I should avoid?
A1The most important treatment for food poisoning is drinking water. The body loses many fluids and the danger is dehydration. Our body can last longer without food than it can without water, and therefore it is ok to avoid eating as much as you used to for a short period of time until your digestive system can recover. However it is very dangerous to avoid drinking, despite the possible vomiting.At any sign of dehydration (fatigue, dizziness) you should seek medical care. In case your symptoms go on loger than expected you should visit your doctor, because antibiotic treatment may help as well.
A2Food poisoning is caused by a variety of foodborne pathogenic bacteria, viruses, or parasites that contaminate food. Usually the body is able to permanently recover after a short period of acute discomfort and illness. During this period it is very important to keep proper hydration, meaning to drink lots of fluids, preferabely water, because a lot of water is wasted in stools and vomiting. It is also recommended to watch your diet during this short period of time, and avoid dairy products and fruit that might cause further abdominal discomfort. Rice and soup are very recommended. Antibiotics aren't used at the first two days because these are usually viral infections, however if it continues, it is recommended to visit the doctor.

Q. What are the Symptoms of Food Poisoning?

My kid started vomiting non-stop tonight, but has doesn't have a fever. We ate lunch at this new restaurant, could this be related? What are the symptoms of food poisoning?
A1Symptoms that occur within 1–6 hours after eating the food, suggest that it is caused by a bacterial toxin or a chemical in the food. During this short "incubation period", microbes pass through the stomach into the intestine, attach to the intestinal walls, and begin to multiply there. Some types of microbes stay in the intestine, some produce a toxin that is absorbed into the bloodstream, and some can directly invade the deeper body tissues. The symptoms produced depend on the type of microbe, but are most commonly vomiting, nausea, fever and stomach aches.
A2Symptoms of food poisoning typically begin several hours to several days after consumption of contaminated food, and depending on the agent involved (for instance-bacteria), can include one or more of the following: abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, headache or fatigue. These are symptoms are classicaly "gastroenteritis-like", however when there's a background of eating out a few hours prior to it, it significantly suggests it is a case of food poisoning.

Q. How can I tell if I have food poisoning?

I've been having diarrhea and been vomiting for 2 days now. How can I tell if it's food poisoning or anything else?
A1when i got food poisioned i was pooping and throwing up at the same time,it lasted for about 10 hours,
A2Do other people that ate with you in the last couple of days suffer also from diarrhea? It may be a good clue to food poisoning.

Other clues are initiation of symptoms within a few hours after eating the suspicious food, vomiting etc.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/MEDLINEPLUS/ency/article/001652.htm

Q. is poison ivy or sumac contagious

A1if you scratch the rash and it has open sores,the pus from the sores can spread to other parts of the body and to other people as well,
A2if you touch poison ivy and then someone else- you may still have some sumak oil on you and that will affect the other person. but it probably won't be in the same manner. it's not a bacteria that grow and spread around. think of it like touching glue- if you touch someone it'll stick to him but only where you touched. and if you wash it only the rash will stay without the material.
A3no sumac oil is the irritant in poison ivy and oak. it is found on the bottom of the leaf, and when you touch the leaf it gets on the skin causing the reaction, wash the area well with polish remover, or an alcohol based wash, dry the area well, and DONT SCRATCH..
This content is provided by iMedix and is subject to iMedix Terms. The Questions and Answers are not endorsed or recommended and are made available by patients, not doctors.