Patient discussion about law

!!! The questions and answers on this page are written by patients and are not reviewed by health professionals.

Q. Mother in law not accepting the diagnosis.

Our 3 years old son was diagnosed with autism some time ago, and although it’s not easy, our family and friends support and help us a lot, except my mother in-law (that lives close to us). She refuse to accept the fact that our son has autism, and keeps telling we are just hysteric and with little education our child will grow up just fine. What can we do? Were we wrong when we decided to tell everyone?
A1I believe that it is a matter of time until your mother in-law realizes the full extent of your son's condition. Perhaps now she cannot accept it, and would rather think of him as a normal healthy child, and with time she will grow to understand his needs and capabilities. The most important thing for you to do is keep her involved in his life, so that she will give him all the love he can get from his grandmother, regardless of his autism. It seems to me you are a strong family with great people around you, that will help you with anything you need, so work on what is best for your son, and that is loving him. Don't spend too much time worrying about what others know or believe.
A2 I had a similar case, only with my own father who wasn’t willing to accept the fact that his first grandson has a problem.
What we did was to let him speak to our pediatrician that explained him the situation and it’s meaning. It didn’t change his attitude completely, , but it did help him to be more understanding about it.
Just remember they act this way only because they love you and your son – it’s not on purpose
A3First of all, it’s good to hear that you have such good people around you that help so much. Regarding your mother in-law, you don’t have to drag her into this – if she refuses to accept it, keep her out of this issue, and try to show her how your son progress. As time will pass, she’ll get it little by little until she’ll finally accept it.

Q. My brother in law is dealing with cancer. how can I help my sister deal with him??

My brother in law's cancer is treated by the best doctors of the ccountry. what I'm afraid of is my sister's depression. Since her husband was diagnosed and stopped working she is so down, she can hardly take care of her kids.It's like her world has darkened and I really don't know how to help her. Would really appreciate any advice. thank you, bless you all.
A1I lost my husband to cancer 5yrs ago, and it really helped me alot when my friend would come and just sit with me, helped with my house work, phone calls, meals and just a hug now and again. Give her all the time she needs to talk and cry and allow her time to be afraid. It is all normal. Just keep loving her, she knows your there and will appreciate it. Even small things you do for her are now big. When you can make her smile do so..... My prayers are with all of you.
A2thanks, that was a good tip, she was happy to give up the paper work and pass it on to me... any other tips guys?
A3Well, can't give any "professional" advice about it, just share my personal experience - assisting in the technical aspects of the disease (e.g. all the paperwork, coordinating the treatment and insurance issues) may help a lot and take off some of the stress. Allowing her to have some time for herself, without having to take care of her husband may also give her some periods of serenity and so forth.

Her feelings may be an acceptable reaction to the change (defined as "adjustment disorder"). However, she may suffer from actual depression, so consulting a professional may also help, as there are quite effective treatments for these problems.

Take care,

Q. My brother-in-law named Jacob has bi-polar schizophrenia; please help us by giving some solution for this…

My brother-in-law named Jacob has bi-polar schizophrenia; he is currently on his medication and takes them faithfully in a positive mood. We have a hard time communicating with each other and it's destroying our marriage, please help us by giving some solution for this…
This content is provided by iMedix and is subject to iMedix Terms. The Questions and Answers are not endorsed or recommended and are made available by patients, not doctors.