Patient discussion about burn

!!! The questions and answers on this page are written by patients and are not reviewed by health professionals.

Q. How do you define burns?

I know there are first, second and third degree burns, but I'm not sure what that means. And how do you calculate the percentage of your body burned? ("he has 18% second degree burn")
A1First, second, or third degree describes the depth of injury. First-degree burns are the most shallow (superficial). They affect only the top layer of skin (epidermis). Second-degree burns extend into the middle layer of skin (dermis). Third-degree burns involve all three layers of skin (epidermis, dermis, and fat layer).
Doctors determine the severity of the burn by estimating the percentage of the body surface that has been burned. Special charts are used to show what percentage of the body surface various body parts comprise. For example, in an adult, the arm constitutes about 9% of the body.
A2First degree- red skin, painful at touch (sun burn usually) .
Second degree- red skin with blisters and a first degree burns around it (like when boiling water spilled on you)
Third degree- black burned skin that sometimes you can see flesh threw it (hope you never experience that).
About the percentage I'm not sure…probably estimate..
A3The categories of burns and their treatment very much depend on the depth, area and location of the burn. Burn depth is generally categorized as first, second or third degree. A first degree burn is superficial and has similar characteristics to a typical sun burn. The skin is red in color and sensation is intact. In fact, it is usually somewhat painful. Second degree burns look similar to the first degree burns; however, the damage is now severe enough to cause blistering of the skin and the pain is usually somewhat more intense. In third degree burns the damage has progressed to the point of skin death. The skin is white and without sensation. Regardless of the type of burn, the result is fluid accumulation and inflammation in and around the wound.
This is a really good site that shows you how to find the burn percentage in adults:
Hope this helps.

Q. How to treat minor burns?

I got burned the other day while cooking. How do I treat minor burns in the best way?
AHere is a video with instructions on how to treat first degree burns:

Q. How to prevent burns from babies?

I have a 4 month old baby and when I gave him a bath last night, he turned red because of the hot water. After the bath the color faded but now I am worried, can this burn him?
A1yes,you need to make sure the water isnt to hot,it only needs to be luke warm,a babies skin is very senitive while they are young,i know i have 3 kids,although my little girl isnt real senitive to hot things.
A2Don't worry, it isn't a burn, however you must be careful as babies are very sensitive. Here is a good website which has great tips for preventing burns in babies and kids:
A3It sounds like the water was too hot for him. Babies have much more sensitive skin and can burn easily. I suggest you test the water with your elbow first before putting your baby in.

Q. Is it good to put alcohol on burns?

If I get a burn- should I sterilize it with alcohol to prevent infections?
A1Tiffany is to avoid alcohol. the treatment depends on the severity of the burn. here is a pamphlet about dealing with burns. very helpful!
A2I would avoid that…there are much better materials you can use on burns (depending on their severity). Any way, the only burns that need sterilization are third degree burns. That means burns that destroyed completely the outmost layer of the skin. you can see flesh. If that happens- you need to get medical attention right away. Go to the hospital and they'll take care of it.

Q. Burning people?

My friend told me his brother had a back pain and he wanted to try a Chinese therapy, and the therapist burned him – is that possible? Isn’t it dangerous? Can it cause burns?
A1We don’t burn people – we use special burning plants to treat problems, and I never encountered a serious burn as a result of it, so actually it’s not really that dangerous as it sounds.
A2It sounds your friends brother received treatment with moxibustion – basically it’s the use of heated plants to treat problems. Here
you can find a bit more accurate description of that “burning treatment” he told you about…
A3This is a known Chinese medicine therapy with usually glass-made cups. During treatment they put the cups on the patient's back and cause vacuum with fire, that "suck" the skin and underlying tissue into the cup, and that way are supposed to help release stiff muscles and help back pain. This is a very common treatment and of course if not careful could cause more extensive burns, therefore it is important to go to a known licensed therapist.

Q. In which sports do you burn the most calories?

I heard that in a spinning session you can burn up to 1000 calories and that Bikram yoga is also very good for burning lots of calories. Do you know of other sports?
ARunning and cycling are considered high-expenditure sports. Generally, the higher you get your pulse during the exercise the higher your calorie expenditure is. However, the burning fat is optimal at a certain pulse, usually not the highest you can get yourself to.

You may read more here:

Q. except for for the scars, are there any more consequence to burns?

10 years ago i was burned in my face and right hand from boiling water. i was hospitalized and was treated with skin grafts from my thighs. In the last four weeks I feel a strange feeling in my scar. Its hard to describe the exact feeling but it kind of a painful lump inside my flesh. 10 years After that accident can it be that my body is still not over this injury?
A1burn scars have 3 optional ways of evolving.
a) nothing happens - shouldn't hurt at all (this is by far the most common situation)
b) nerve trapping (which happened to me. Its usually begins months after the burn and not years. and you dont have a lump)
c) skin cancer from the scar. this is a rare syndrome but you must go to your GP do exclude it. its called marjolin ulcer.
A2In general burn injuries that scar are a sealed deal.
The scar formation can take for up to a year but afterwards it shouldn't disturb you in any way.
If you feel that there is a new pain in the scar area consult your GP and maybe go to a pain clinic.
This content is provided by iMedix and is subject to iMedix Terms. The Questions and Answers are not endorsed or recommended and are made available by patients, not doctors.