Patient discussion about bacterial

!!! The questions and answers on this page are written by patients and are not reviewed by health professionals.

Q. i have been in contact with someone whose in contact with bacterial meningitis. is this dangerous?

A1 bacterial meningitis is one of the most lethal infections known. when people get infected by it they get a __ load of antibiotics and so are their families. but it all depends on what stage you had contact, and how close contact. in any way- he is probably under treatment now, no? if so, contact the doctors where he is hospitalized and ask them what is the protocol.
A2For the one who has bacterial meningitis, it is dangerous, and hopefully this person was treated with antibiotics quickly. The covering of the brain and spinal cord become swollen, so damage can occur with the infected person's nervous system. Quick treatment is necessary.

Viral meningitis is more common than bacterial, yet bacterial is more dangerous. The bacteria responsible for meningitis are spread through close contact with the infected person's nose or throat.

About 75,000 cases of meningitis happen every year in the us. Head ache and neck pain are the initial symptoms. See the following link:

http://www.dhpe.org/infect/Bacmeningitis.html

Q. What Causes Meningitis?

I was told that meningitis is a very infectious disese. What causes meningitis?
A1Most cases of meningitis are caused by microorganisms, such as viruses, bacteria, fungi, or parasites, that spread into the blood and into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Non-infectious causes include cancers, certain drugs and more. The most common cause of meningitis is viral, that is usually less severe. Bacterial meningitis is the second most frequent type and can be serious and life-threatening. Bacterial meningitis is a medical emergency.
A2Meningitis is indeed a very infectious disease, caused by infectious agents such as bacterias, viruses and different subtypes of parasites or fungi. You can view here what exactly is meningitis and more about what causes it-
http://www.5min.com/Video/What-is-Meningitis-7106

Q. Why Is it Important to Not Use Antibiotics Often?

Why is my doctor always so reluctant to prescribe me antibiotics?
A1Antibiotic resistance has become a serious problem in both developed and underdeveloped nations. By 1984 half of those with active tuberculosis in the United States had a strain that resisted at least one antibiotic. In certain settings, such as hospitals and some childcare locations, the rate of antibiotic resistance is so high that the usual, low-cost antibiotics are virtually useless for treatment of frequently seen infections. This leads to more frequent use of newer and more expensive compounds, which in turn leads to the rise of resistance to those drugs. A struggle to develop new antibiotics ensues to prevent losing future battles against infection. Therefore the doctors try to avoid using antibiotics when it is not necessary, and try to keep a certain limited use of these medications.
A2Use or misuse of antibiotics may result in the development of antibiotic resistance by the infecting organisms. Evolutionary theory of genetic selection requires that as close as possible to 100% of the infecting organisms be killed off to avoid selection of resistance; if a small subset of the population survives the treatment (and therefore is allowed to multiply), the average susceptibility of this new population to the treatment will be much less than that of the original population, since they have descended from those few organisms that survived the original treatment. Doctors nowadays try to prevent misuse of antibiotics in order to avoid creating growing bacterial resistance to them.
A3Usually antibiotics kill bacteria or stop them from growing. However, some bacteria have become resistant to specific antibiotics. This means that the antibiotics no longer work against them. Bacteria become resistant more quickly when antibiotics are used too often or are not used correctly (such as not taking a full course of antibiotics as prescribed by your doctor). Resistant bacteria sometimes can be treated with different antibiotics to which the bacteria have not yet become resistant. These medicines may have to be given intravenously (through a vein) in a hospital. A few kinds of resistant bacteria are untreatable. If you take antibiotics when your body doesnt need them, then when you do need antibiotics, they won't work. http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/infections/protect/680.html Hope this helps.
This content is provided by iMedix and is subject to iMedix Terms. The Questions and Answers are not endorsed or recommended and are made available by patients, not doctors.