Patient discussion about Vitilgo
!!! The questions and answers on this page are written by patients and are not reviewed by health professionals.
Q. Can anyone tell me what is the cause for Vitilgo?
|A1||I'm sorry; I thought you were talking about vertigo.|
Vetiligo, is a chronic skin disease that causes loss of pigment, resulting in irregular pale patches of skin. Its cause is complex and not fully understood. Vitiligo is a disease where the immune system turns against itself (autoimmune disease) where immune cells of the body attack the color-producing (pigment-producing) cells to cause white patches on the skin, which may contain hairs that are white in color.
|A2||Vertigo, or dizziness, is a symptom, not a disease. The term vertigo refers to the sensation of spinning or whirling that occurs as a result of a disturbance in balance (equilibrium). Vertigo can be caused by problems in the brain or the inner ear. Here are a few causes of Vertigo:|
1. Vertigo can be caused by inflammation within the inner ear
2. Meniere's disease
3. Acoustic neuroma is a type of tumor that can cause vertigo
4. Vertigo can be caused by decreased blood flow to the base of the brain. Bleeding into the back of the brain (cerebellar hemorrhage) is characterized by vertigo.
5. Vertigo is often the presenting symptom in multiple sclerosis.
6. Head trauma and neck injury may also result in vertigo, which usually goes away on its own.
7. Migraine, a severe form of headache, may also cause vertigo. The vertigo is usually followed by a headache.
This content is provided by iMedix and is subject to iMedix Terms. The Questions and Answers are not endorsed or recommended and are made available by patients, not doctors.