Lavandula angustifolia(redirected from True lavender)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to True lavender: English lavender
Lavandula angustifolia(trade name),
ClassificationTherapeutic: hair regrowth stimulants
Lavender decreases EEG potentials and decreases alertness and seems to induce relaxation and sedation. Lavender's stimulant effect on hair growth is not fully understood.
Improved hair growth.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
Contraindicated in: Hypersensitivity.Pregnancy.
Use Cautiously in: Children (topical use in prepubertal boys may result in gynecomastia).Discontinue use 2 weeks prior to elective surgical procedures (additive CNS depressant effects with anesthetic agents).
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Central nervous system
- dermatitis (with topical use)
- increased appetite
- gynecomastia (with topical use in prepubertal boys)
InteractionsLavender can potentiate the therapeutics effects of barbiturates,chloral hydrate, andCNS depressants. None.
Oral (Adults) Depression–60 drops/day tincture of lavender (1:5 in 50% alcohol) for 4 weeks.
Topical (Adults) Alopecia areata—3 drops (108 mg) of lavender oil
Inhalation (Adults) Insomnia—vaporized lavender oil has been used as aromatherapy
Dried flower: Essential oil:
- Assess mood and sleep pattern periodically during therapy.
- Lab Test Considerations: Monitor lipid levels and coagulation panel periodically during therapy.
Potential Nursing DiagnosesSleep deprivation (Indications)
- Oral: Diluted tincture may be taken in alcohol or tea.
- Topical: Combine with other essential oils and massage into scalp nightly for 2 minutes with a warm towel around head to increase absorption.
- Instruct patient to dilute and take as directed. Undiluted essential oil of lavender may be poisonous if taken by mouth.
- Instruct patient in correct technique for use for alopecia.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Improvement in sleep pattern and mood.
- Reduction of alopecia.