Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
1. The act of reducing a drug to a fine powder and incorporating it thoroughly with sugar of milk by rubbing the two together in a mortar. Synonym(s): tripsis (1)
2. Mixing of dental amalgam in a mortar and pestle or with a mechanical device.
[L. trituratio, fr. trituro, to thresh, fr. tero, pp. tritus, to rub]
Etymology: Gk, rubbing
2 the process of reducing the particle size of a substance by grinding it with a mortar and pestle. Also called trituration.
tripsisAn obsolete term for:
(1) Grinding (trituration); or
(2) Rubbing (massage).
tripsis(trip′sĭs) [Gr. tripsis, friction]
1. The process of trituration.
2. Massaging, grinding, or crushing.