Trichophyton rubrum

Also found in: Wikipedia.

Tri·choph·y·ton ru·'brum

a widely distributed anthropophilic fungal species that causes persistent infections of the skin, especially tinea pedis and tinea cruris, and in the nails that are unusually resistant to therapy; it rarely invades the hair, where it is ectothrix in nature; occasional subcutaneous and systemic infections have been reported.

Trich·o·phy·ton ru·brum

(tri-kof'i-ton rū'brŭm)
A widely distributed anthropophilic fungal species that causes persistent infections of the skin, especially tinea pedis and tinea cruris and in the nails, that are unusually resistant to therapy.
Trichophyton rubrum anthropophilic endo/ectothrix species causing difficult-to-clear chronic skin and nail infections; 80% of cases of onychomycosis are caused by T. rubrum infection; characteristically causes dry, scaly fungal infections of plantar skin
References in periodicals archive ?
The growth inhibition of Trichophyton rubrum and Trichophyton verrucosum was observed at 5 mg/ml and 7mg/ml of the extract mostly prevented Aspergillus niger sporulation but had no activity against Candida albicans.
ECOZA(TM) FOAM is indicated for the treatment of interdigital tinea pedis caused by Trichophyton rubrum, Trichophyton mentagrophytes, and Epidermophyton floccosum in patients 12 years of age and older.
High throughput screening synergy assay Baccharis species Ent-clerodanes Flavonoids Trichophyton rubrum Terbinafine Antifungal Synergism Additivism 3D surface--response curves CombiTool software
The most common culprits in immunocompetent patients are Trichophyton rubrum (90% of cases) and Trichophyton mentagrophytes (most of the remaining 10% of cases).
ONMEL[TM] (itraconazole), an azole antifungal, was approved by the FDA in April 2010 and is indicated for the treatment of onychomycosis of the toenail caused by Trichophyton rubrum or T.
Lezyonlarda yer yer annuler alanlarin da izlenmesi ve ayirici tanida dermatofitik bir enfeksiyonun atlanmamasi icin yapilan mikolojik direkt bakida micel formasyonu, kulturde Trichophyton rubrum uremesi saptandi (Sekil 2).
The SRRC researchers have also recently collaborated with physician Thomas Walsh and others at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), in Bethesda, Maryland, to study CAY-1 activity against Microsporum canis and Trichophyton rubrum, which are dermatophytic, or skin, fungal pathogens that infect immunocompromised individuals.
0 TABLE 3 Fungistatic activity of chlorhexidine Organism Mean MIC (mg/l) Mould/fungi Aspergillus fumigatus 32 Aspergillus niger 16 Penicillium notatum 16 Yeasts Candida albicans 9 Dermatophytes Epidermophyton floccosum 4 Microsporum canis 4 Microsporum fulvum 6 Microsporum gypseum 6 Trichophyton equinum 4 Trichophyton interdigitale 3 Trichophyton mentagrophytes 3 Trichophyton quinkeanum 3 Trichophyton rubrum 3 Trichophyton tonsurans 3 MIC=minimum inhibitory concentration.
Fungal cultures revealed Trichophyton rubrum, but the tip-off for the primary diagnosis was narrow-toed shoes and bunions.
Cream, 1% is indicated for the topical treatment of athlete's foot (interdigital tinea pedis), jock itch (tinea cruris), and ringworm (tinea corporis), caused by the organisms Trichophyton rubrum and Epidermophyton floccosum, in patients 18 years of age and older.
One early proposed mechanism was the direct action of heat on the infecting organisms, (13) but recent in vitro studies show that laser-generated heat to a level required to kill Trichophyton rubrum is much higher than what would be tolerable; experiments with direct lasering of fungi have not affected the growth of fungal organisms.