tablet

(redirected from Tablet computer)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Tablet computer: Wearable computer, tablet laptop

tablet

 [tab´let]
a solid dosage form containing a medicinal substance with or without a suitable diluent. Called also pill.
buccal tablet one which dissolves when it is held between the cheek and gum, permitting direct absorption of the active ingredient through the oral mucosa.
enteric-coated tablet one coated with material that delays release of the medication until after it leaves the stomach.
sublingual tablet one that dissolves when held beneath the tongue, permitting direct absorption of the active ingredient by the oral mucosa.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.

tab·let (tab),

(tab'lĕt),
A solid dosage form containing medicinal substances with or without suitable diluents; it may vary in shape, size, and weight, and may be classed according to the method of manufacture, as compressed tablet.
Synonym(s): tabule
[Fr. tablette, L. tabula]
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012

tablet

(tăb′lĭt)
n.
A small flat pellet of medication to be taken orally.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

tab·let

(tab.) (tab'lĕt)
A solid dosage form containing medicinal substances with or without suitable diluents. It may vary in shape, size, and weight, and may be classified according to the method of manufacture (e.g., molded tablet, compressed tablet).
[Fr. tablette, L. tabula]
Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing © Farlex 2012

tab·let

(tab) (tab'lĕt)
Solid dosage form containing medicinal substances with or without suitable diluents; may vary in shape, size, and weight.
[Fr. tablette, L. tabula]
Medical Dictionary for the Dental Professions © Farlex 2012
References in periodicals archive ?
Microsoft's new tablet computer was designed to be a platform for Windows, Sinofsky said, as he compared the challenger to Apple's iPad.
This year non-Apple tablet computers are expected to take 30-40% market share to drive Unity's LED backlight shipments to 10 million units this year, to generate demand for about 300 million LED chips.
Japan's Toshiba showcased what it calls "the world's thinnest and lightest" tablet computer, equipped with a 10.1-inch display that is just 7.7 millimetres (0.3-inch) thick and weighs 558 grams (19.5 ounces).
Rariza said Peralta, who pretended to be a girl, befriended Lebuna who later confided that he wanted to sell a tablet computer, De Dios said.
Onetime giants like Hewlett - Packard and Dell are struggling amid sluggish demand as sales of tablet computers and other devices surge.
Google will challenge the market leader by setting its tablet computer's price at less than half that of the iPad, just as Amazon.com Inc.
'We didn't know if people would get it; but obviously they got it.' US telecom maker Motorola Mobility jumped into the bustling tablet computer market when chief executive Sanjay Jha unveiled Xoom at CES.
According to the report, Apple iPads made up 55 percent of all tablets in the year's third quarter, the company found, while Google Android-run tablet computers accounted for 44 percent.
The debut of the long-anticipated tablet computer bearing Google's brand and equipped with its latest operating software kicked off an annual conference for about 6-thousand computer programmers.
''The tablet computer market is expected to grow significantly in the future,'' Obatake said, adding that competition is likely to intensify as rivals are expected to actively launch new products.
The company's executives projected sales of tablet computers in Taiwan at 500,000 systems by the end of this year, with Apple iPads constituting 53% and Android-based gadgets comprising the remaining 47%.
Summary: San Francisco, May 31, 2010, SPA -- The international debut of Apple&'s hit new iPad at the weekend have pushed total sales of the tablet computer to over 2 million units, Apple announced today, according to dpa.