sulfite

(redirected from Sulphites)
Also found in: Dictionary, Encyclopedia.

sulfite

 [sul´fīt]
a salt of sulfurous acid. Sulfites are used as preservatives for salad, fresh fruit and vegetables, wine, beer, and dried fruit. In susceptible individuals, especially those with asthma, they can cause a severe reaction; because of this their use has been curtailed, and foods that contain them must be labeled.

sul·fite

(sŭl'fīt),
A salt of sulfurous acid; elevated in cases of molybdenum cofactor deficiency.

sulfite

/sul·fite/ (sul´fīt) any salt of sulfurous acid.

sulfite

Sulfiting agent Food industry An agent used as a food preservative; up to 5% of asthmatics are sensitive to sulfites–possibly due to low levels of sulfite oxidase, and respond to sulfites with nausea, diarrhea, bronchospasm, pruritus, edema, hives, potentially anaphylactic shock and death; some drugs used for asthma may contain sulfiting agents. See Food allergies, Pseudoallergies.

sul·fite

(sŭl'fīt)
A salt of sulfurous acid; elevated in cases of molybdenum cofactor deficiency.

Sulfite

A type of preservative that causes allergic reactions in some people.
Mentioned in: Bronchodilators
References in periodicals archive ?
Everyone at the fair has had to submit levels of sulphites and additives they use.
The highest levels of sulphites are found in dried fruit, wine, beer, cordial, convenience foods such as pizzas and oven chips, jam, some seafood products and processed meat.
How sulphites cause a reaction is not quite clear, though it's thought they form a gas in the mouth when they come into contact with saliva in some people, which causes the airways to tighten.
In their research, VTT scientists attempted to find a way to prevent enzymatic browning of peeled potatoes without the use of sulphites, by using a dipping treatment.
Sulphites and sulphate ingredients play an important role in the food industry, but as well as preventing spoilage, they have also been linked with food intolerance and allergies.
There is an interesting case study on allergens, which shows that in roughly 90% of the incidents involving sulphites, the root cause of the problem was simple lack of knowledge about labelling requirements and/or failure to recognise sulphite as a problem.
Headaches after drinking wine are usually caused by sulphites - sulphur dioxide added to the bottle to kill off unwanted microbes and yeasts and limit oxidation.
Sulphites are additives used as preservatives in many foodstuffs, including wines, beer and cider.
Enzymatic browning has been controlled by using sulphites.
A study released today by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) found that more than 99 percent of fresh grape samples tested had no detectable levels of sulphites.
Sulphur dioxide and sulphites are incorporated into many food products.
In the past, enzymatic browning has been controlled by using sulphites.