Volatile metabolites produced by three strains of Stachybotrys chartarum
cultivated on rice and gypsum board.
However, toxic mold (Stachybotrys chartarum
or Stachybotrys atra), also known as black mold, is a major problem.
During 1993-1996, investigation of cases of acute idiopathic pulmonary hemorrhage (AIPH) among infants in Cleveland, Ohio (i), suggested an association between AIPH and being male, exposure to molds (notably Stachybotrys chartarum
), exposure to environmental tobacco smoke, and lack of breastfeeding.
Allergic reactions among staff and patients have triggered the sampling of air for Aspergillus species and Stachybotrys chartarum
On July 17, 2003, the Center for Legal Policy of the Manhattan Institute published a paper, "The Growing Hazard of Mold Litigation." The authors found that one of the triggers of the thousands of mold-related lawsuits was a study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in which CDC scientists concluded that molds, including Stachybotrys chartarum
, could be at fault for illnesses suffered by a small group of children.
Mold itself has been around for the last million years, but the recent impact to the real estate industry has been darker than a wall overrun with Stachybotrys chartarum
, black mold.
A mould called stachybotrys chartarum
, which thrives on damp, causes flu-like symptoms or makes existing snuffles worse - and has already hit the US in epidemic proportions.
Some of these, such as Chaetomium globosum and Stachybotrys chartarum
, require water-saturated substrates.
In that study, researchers cited a cluster of 10 infants suffering from bleeding lungs and linked the condition to the presence of stachybotrys chartarum
mold in their Cleveland homes.
They report finding no scientific basis to support the perceived widespread threat to humans who inhale Stachybotrys chartarum
(black mold) spores.
The latest salvo comes from celebrity Ed McMahon who's suing a subsidiary of Traveler's Property Casualty Corporation for $20 million, claiming that an improperly repaired leak covered by the company lead to the mold stachybotrys chartarum
spreading through his Beverly Hills mansion, making him and his wife seriously ill and killing their dog.