saliva substitutes(redirected from Salivart)
saliva substitutes(sa-lye-vasub -sti-toots) ,
Entertainers' Secret(trade name),
Pregnancy Category: UK
ClassificationTherapeutic: saliva substitutes
Management of dry mouth or throat, which may occur as a consequence of:
- Medications (tricyclic antidepressants, antihistamines, anticholinergics),
- Radiation therapy,
- Sjogren's syndrome,
- Other illnesses,
- Emotional factors.
Composition is similar to that of saliva.
Contains electrolytes in a thickening agent (carboxymethylcellulose).
Relief of dry mouth.
Absorption: Minimal with local administration; electrolytes may be minimally absorbed through oral mucosa or with swallowing.
Distribution: Action is primarily local.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown.
Time/action profile (relief of dry mouth)
Contraindicated in: Hypersensitivity to carboxymethylcellulose, parabens, or other components.
Use Cautiously in: Situations in which absorption of electrolytes may compromise the patient’s condition, such as potassium and magnesium in patients with renal failure or sodium in patients with HF or hypertension.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Fluid and Electrolyte
- excessive absorption of electrolytes
Drug-Drug interactionNone significant.
Oral (Adults) Spray or apply to oral mucosa as needed.
Availability (generic available)
SolutionMoi-Stir—mint flavor; Mouthkote—citrus flavor: in squirt bottle, pump spray, spray canOTC
Swabs: Packets of 3OTC
Lozenges: Packages of 100OTC
- Assess patient for xerostomia (dry mouth) or dry throat before and periodically throughout therapy.
- Assess gingiva and oral mucosa for stomatitis.
Potential Nursing DiagnosesImpairedoral mucous membrane (Indications)
- Administer as necessary for xerostomia or dry throat.
- Instruct patient to swish saliva substitute around in mouth after spray or application.
- Advise patient of the importance of good oral hygiene in addition to the use of saliva substitutes.
- Emphasize the importance of routine dental examinations throughout course of therapy.
- Decrease in dry mouth and throat.