polysulfone

(redirected from Polysulphone)
Also found in: Acronyms.

polysulfone

A synthetic polymer used in the fabrication of dialysis membranes with high biocompatibility.
Medical Dictionary, © 2009 Farlex and Partners
References in periodicals archive ?
found that long-term (6 months) dialysis treatment with VECM was accompanied by significant decrease in ADMA, ox-LDL, and MDA-LDL plasma levels compared to dialysis with polysulphone dialyzers.
Three different polysulphone dialysers, F8 HPS (N = 14), F10 (N = 3), and FX80 (N = 13) (Fresenius Medical Care, Germany), with effective membrane areas of 1.8, 2.2 and 1.8 [m.sup.2], respectively, were used.
The polysulphone, polyurea and polyamide systems all suffered from hydrolysis.
Production of monokines in patients under polysulphone haemodiafiltration is influenced by the ultrafiltration flow rate.
The images of clean polysulphone ultrafiltration membranes with a molecular weight cutoff of 10,000 daltons reveal average pore sizes of 12.9 angstroms and a total surface porosity of 18.2%.
Polymerics include polysulphone, polyethersulphone, and polyvinyldiflouride membranes.
Commercial membranes and IEC modified polysulphone membranes have been investigated from the point of view of durability and resistance to fouling.
Gaides and McHughe [8] investigated the effect of addition of different solvent/nonsolvent mixtures on glass transition temperature depression as well as gel melting/gelation behavior of polysulphone (PSF) in presence of N,N-dimethylacetamide (DMAc) as the solvent and water as the nonsolvent.
All HD patients (18) receive 3 h/3 sessions per week with a similar conventional HD treatment; of them, 28% had fistulae and the remaining 72% had permanent HD catheter; they use polysulphone hemofilter (no re-used); all HD prescriptions were individualized by their own clinicians, according to their clinical conditions as ultrafiltration rate, Kt/V, and so forth.
Koutsoukos, Functionalization of synthetic polymers for potential use as biomaterials: selective growth of hydroxyapatite on sulphonated polysulphone, Biomaterials.
In this study it was found that the cellulose triacetate and polysulphone HF membranes removed similarly classical markers and protein-bound liphophilic solutes as a LF polysulphone membrane.
A Teflon seat and Polysulphone body prevent scale, which inhibits leaks and ensures long working life.