aluminium phosphide

(redirected from Phostoxin)

aluminium phosphide

A pesticide used to fumigate stored grains and rodenticide. Poisoning is more common in farming communities; it is a popular and effective agent for committing suicide in India and Iran. When ingested, it reacts with gastric HCl releasing 1 g of phosphine (10 times its lethal dose), causing death in two hours.

Clinical features
Cardiovascular—arrhythmia, myocarditis, myocardial infarction, hypotensive shock, respiratory distress; GI—epigastric pain, pancreatitis, diarrhoea, vomiting; metabolic effects/chemical pathology—metabolic acidosis, hypercalcaemia, hypomagnesaemia, convulsions, liver failure, kidney failure.
Vascular damage, RBC membrane damage, cytochrome oxidase inhibition with mitochondrial dysfunction, end-organ hypoxia.

Generates phosphine gas (PH3) in contact with water.

Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
Most of the farmers (90%) used netting method and the rest 10% used rotenone and phostoxin [17].
Some developing countries around the world still apply pesticides such as methyl bromide, magnesium phosphide (magtoxin), and aluminum phosphide (phostoxin) with minimal restrictions on use.
A top CID official of the Sharjah Police said the Somali tenant of the neighbouring apartment had been arrested for using an illegal toxic pesticide called phostoxin in his apartment on the ninth floor.
Six canisters of Phostoxin were stolen from Prokill pest controllers on November 18 - forcing police to issue a stark warning over the possible consequences of the substances falling into the wrong hands.
In this survey, the effect of phostoxin (a fumigant rodenticide) on the main reservoir host and vector of the disease were compared with zinc phosphide 2.5% bait in comparison with the control area.
Severity factors of aluminium phosphide poisoning (Phostoxin).
Phostoxin (55% Aluminium phosphide) and Primo-ban-20 (pirimiphos-methyl, emulsifiable concentrate 50%).
It would appear that Phostoxin gas is the substance that caused the deaths.
The neighbours had used Phostoxin tablets and PhospA[degrees]hine gas, Yahya said.
The man was charged in writing then released after admitting he dumped the substance, known as phostoxin, which is used for pest control.
Supply of phostoxin tablets for grain crops evaporation.