quinone(redirected from P-chloranil)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. General name for aromatic compounds bearing two oxygens in place of two hydrogens, usually in the para position; the oxidation product of a hydroquinone.
2. Synonym(s): 1, 4-benzoquinone (1)
1. Either of two isomeric unsaturated cyclic compounds having the formula C6H4O2, found widely in plants, especially in a yellow crystalline form, and used in making dyes, tanning hides, and photography.
2. Any of various quinonoid compounds, often yellow to red in color, many of which have biological derivation or importance, such as coenzyme-Q.
quinone(1) 1,4-Benzoquinone, see there.
(2) An aromatic compound with two oxygens substituted for two hydrogens.