obstruent(redirected from Obstruent consonant)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
1. causing obstruction or blocking.
2. an agent that so acts.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Rarely used term for obstructing or clogging.
2. Rarely used term for an agent that obstructs or prevents a normal discharge, especially a discharge from the bowels.
[L. obstruo, to build against, obstruct]
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
Obstructing or closing natural openings or passages of the body.
1. An obstruent medicine or agent.
2. Linguistics A sound, such as a stop, fricative, or affricate, that is produced with complete blockage or at least partial constriction of the airflow through the nose or mouth.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.