Levitra(redirected from Nuviva)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus.
Pharmacologic class: Phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE5) inhibitor
Therapeutic class: Erectile dysfunction agent
Pregnancy risk category B
Selectively blocks PDE5, which neutralizes cyclic guanosine monophosphate, resulting in enhanced erectile function
Tablets: 2.5 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg
Indications and dosages
➣ Erectile dysfunction
Adult males: 10 or 20 mg P.O. approximately 1 hour before anticipated sexual activity. Maximum dosing frequency is once daily.
• Patients older than age 65
• Concurrent use of CYP450-3A4 inhibitors
• Concurrent HIV therapy (except highly active antiretroviral therapy)
• Hypersensitivity to drug
• Concurrent use of nitrates or nitrate patches to treat angina
• Concurrent use of alpha-adrenergic blockers
Use cautiously in:
• cardiovascular disease, retinitis pigmentosa, hepatic or renal impairment, reduced hepatic blood flow
• patients at increased risk for priapism (as from sickle-cell disease, leukemia, multiple myeloma, polycythemia, or history of priapism).
• Advise patient not to take more than one tablet daily.
EENT: blurred vision, altered color perception, light sensitivity, rhinitis
Other: flulike symptoms
Drug-drug. Alpha-adrenergic blockers, nitrates: hypotension
Erythromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, protease inhibitors: increased vardenafil blood level
Drug-diagnostic tests. Creatine kinase: increased level
• Monitor blood pressure and heart rate, particularly if patient has cardiovascular disease.
• Tell patient he may take with or without food.
• Instruct patient to take one tablet about 1 hour before anticipated sexual activity. Caution him not to take more than one tablet daily.
• Instruct patient to promptly contact prescriber if erection lasts more than 4 hours, because irreversible damage to penis may occur.
• Caution patient not to take nitrates. Tell him to inform prescriber of other drugs he's taking.
• As appropriate, review all other significant adverse reactions and interactions, especially those related to the drugs and tests mentioned above.
Adverse effects Headache, dyspepsia, nausea, rhinitis