reducing sugar

(redirected from Non-reducing sugar)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.

re·duc·ing sug·ar

a sugar (for example, glucose in the urine) that has the property of reducing various inorganic ions, notably cupric ion to cuprous ion.

reducing sugar

a sugar containing free aldehyde (H -C=O) or keto (C=O) groups capable of reducing metal ions such as Cu+ and Ag+. Reducing sugars such as glucose and fructose will reduce solutions in Benedict's test and FEHLING'S TEST.
References in periodicals archive ?
In cuttings, high-sugar with low-starch content result in a conversion of starch to sucrose (non-reducing sugar), glucose and fructose (reducing sugars).
Non-reducing sugar. The influence of treatments and storage interval on non-reducing sugar content of carrot and apple blended jam are shown in Table 5.
In the present study, it is proposed to analyse the relative levels of starch, total sugars, reducing sugars and non-reducing sugars in different grains growing in the same spikelet and to assess whether they are variable amongst the differentially participating grains or not.
Sugars that are unable to reduce the above oxidizing agents are called non-reducing sugars (e.g.
Having the reducing sugars and total soluble sugars data we estimated the non-reducing sugar content.
Non-reducing sugars were obtained by calculating the difference between total sugars and reducing sugars multiplied by a 0.95 conversion factor (conversion for sucrose).
Overall findings indicated that highest non-reducing sugar contents in silks were in accordance with Solihah et al.
The effect of crude protein, nitrogen, reducing sugars, lignin, phosphorous and copper in the leaves of okra plants was positively correlated with correlation coefficient values of 0.831 , 0.833 , 0.406 , 0.572 , 0.511 and 0.578 , respectively; whereas those of the NDF, ADF, cellulose, silica, total either, non-reducing sugar, total sugars, calcium, and magnesium were seen to have a negative effect on the jassids populations per leaf on okra with correlation coefficient values of 0.488 , 0.487 , 0.479 , 0.833 , 0.512 , 0.931 , 0.923 , 0.863 , and 0.831 , respectively.
Trehalose's structure results in a chemically stable, non-reducing sugar with many important functional characteristics.
Data were recorded on both qualitative characters (% reducing and non-reducing sugar, % brix and % carotene content) and quantitative (nodes for first female flowers, number of female flowers per plant, number of nodes for first fruit setting, fruit weight in kg, number of fruits per plant, yield per plant in kg).
By contrast, reducing sugars (6.31%), non-reducing sugar (2.01%), total sugars (8.32%), and titratable acidity (1.51%) were highest with 8 days irrigation interval and the highest total soluble solids (9.04%) and organoleptic quality score (8.00) were recorded with 10 days irrigation interval.
The cultivar and days of storage factors were significant for the total, reducing and non-reducing sugar variables, without significant interaction between these two factors for the reducing sugars variable.