New Deal(redirected from New Deal for Junior Doctors)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
New DealA work compensation and conditions package agreed to by junior doctors’ representatives, NHS management, and Government in 1999, which was designed to address the unsocial hours and poor working conditions to which junior doctors where subjected. The maximum contracted hours for each work pattern by junior doctors was agreed as:
• 72 hours/week for on-call rotas;
• 64 hours/week for partial shifts;
• 56 hours/week for full shifts.
New Deal for Junior Doctors
• Limits on number of hours worked/week and on work during unsocial hours;
• Safety and security (job protection);
• Protected rest periods;
• Acceptable accommodations;
• Catering facilities that meet quality standards;