avoidant personality disorder(redirected from Negative self image)
Also found in: Dictionary, Acronyms.
characterized by avoidance or moving away from something.
avoidant disorder of childhood and adolescence former name for a disorder now included under the diagnosis of social phobia.
avoidant personality disorder a personality disorder marked by extreme shyness and sensitivity to rejection. Because of this sensitivity, the person becomes socially withdrawn and forms relationships only with those willing to give uncritical acceptance. The self-esteem of such a person is naturally low. Fear of embarrassment prevents the patient from undertaking risks or new activities. In spite of the social withdrawal, the avoidant personality has a great desire for affection and companionship.
Miller-Keane Encyclopedia and Dictionary of Medicine, Nursing, and Allied Health, Seventh Edition. © 2003 by Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier, Inc. All rights reserved.
a·void·ant per·son·al·i·ty dis·or·der
1. an enduring and pervasive pattern in adulthood characterized by hypersensitivity to rejection, humiliation, shame, feelings of inadequacy resulting in social inhibition, and an unwillingness to enter into relationships without unusually strong guarantees of uncritical acceptance.
2. a DSM diagnosis that is established when the specified criteria are met.
Synonym(s): avoidant personality
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
avoidant personality disorder
A personality disorder characterized by fear of rejection or disapproval in social situations, feelings of inadequacy, and extreme sensitivity to criticism.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
avoidant personality disorderPsychology A pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, and hypersensitivity to negative evaluation, which begins by early adulthood, and is present in various contexts
- Avoidant personality disorder-DSM 301.82
- Requires 4 + of the following
- Avoids occupational activities
- involving significant interpersonal contact, due to fear of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
- Unwilling to get involved
- with people unless certain of being liked
- Restraint in intimate relationships
- due to fear of ridicule or shame
- with social criticism or rejection
- Inhibited in new interpersonal situations
- due to feelings of inadequacy
- Negative self image
- Views self as socially inept, unappealing, or inferior to others
- Reluctant to take risks
- or engage in activites that have the potential for being embarrassing
McGraw-Hill Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
avoidant personality disorderA disorder characterized by a persistent and excessive shrinkage from contact with unfamiliar people, of such degree as to interfere with normal social functioning. A pathological degree of shyness.
Collins Dictionary of Medicine © Robert M. Youngson 2004, 2005