National Genetics Education and Development Centre
National Genetics Education and Development CentreA centre based in Birmingham which is funded by the Department of Health as a major initiative of the 2003 Genetics White Paper, Our Inheritance, Our Future—Realising the Potential of Genetics in the NHS, which set out the Government's strategy for ensuring that the potential benefits of genetics are realised by the NHS. The centre works with various groups in the UK to integrate genetics and genomics education in all levels of formation and training of health professionals.
Key aims of NGEDC
• Provide leadership in genetics education;
• Help raise patient and public awareness of genetics and genomics;
• Identify the genetics knowledge, skills and attitudes useful for clinical roles;
• Develop a framework for competence in genetics;
• Facilitate the integration of genetics into curricula and courses;
• Identify and develop resources appropriate to the needs of health professionals;
• Support and disseminate learning from service development initiatives in genetics.
Segen's Medical Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.