Mexican Hat Cell
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. an erythrocyte with a dark center surrounded by a light band that again is encircled by a darker ring; it thus resembles a shooting target; such cells appear in target-cell anemias or after splenectomy; Synonym(s): Mexican hat cell
2. a cell lysed by cytotoxic T lymphocytes, as in graft rejection.
• Liver disease Lecithin cholesterol acyltransferase activity may decrease in obstructive liver disease, increasing the cholesterol:phospholipid ratio, thereby increasing red cell surface area
• Iron deficiency Decreased haemoglobin content relative to surface area—seen in thalassemias, haemoglobin C disease, etc.
• Post-splenectomy Altered erythrocytes are not removed from the circulation
• Autosplenectomy Sickle cell anaemia
tar·get cell(tahr'gĕt sel)
1. An erythrocyte in target cell anemia, with a dark center surrounded by a light band that again is encircled by a darker ring, thus resembling a target used in practice with firearms or archery; such cells also appear after splenectomy.