Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)Depression.Smoking cessation.Insomnia.
ClassificationTherapeutic: mood stabilizers
L-tryptophan is an essential amino acid that is converted by the body to 5–hydroxytryptophan (5–HTP) and then to serotonin. Both L-tryptophan and 5–HTP cross the blood-brain barrier and have sedative effects. Depletion of endogenous tryptophan can cause a relapse in depression symptoms.
Improved symptoms of depression.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
Contraindicated in: Hypersensitivity.Pregnancy and lactation.
Use Cautiously in: Eosinophilia.Kidney disease.Liver disease.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Central nervous system
Ear, Eye, Nose, Throat
- visual blurring
- abdominal pain
- dry mouth
- eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome
InteractionsIncreased risk of serotonergic effects and serotonin syndrome with SSRIs,dextromethorphan,meperidine,tricyclic antidepressantsmonoamine oxidase inhibitorspentazocine andtramadol. Increased sedation with CNS depressants. Additive sedation with herbs or supplements that have sedative properties such as kavaSt. John's wortvalerian5–HTPand others.Increased risk of serotonin syndrome with St. John's wort.
Oral (Adults) Insomnia—1 gram 20 minutes before bedtime; Depression—300 mg/day; Prementrual syndrome—6 grams/day; Smoking cessation—50 mg/kg/day.
Capsules: Tablets: 500 mg
- Assess sleep patterns prior to and periodically during therapy.
- Monitor for signs and symptoms of esosinophilia-myalgia sydrome (severe myalgia, arthralgia, intense eosinophilia) Less common symptoms include respiratory prodrome (cough, dyspnea, pulmonary infiltrates), limb edema, scleroderma, mononeuritis, evanescent skin rash, mild LFT elevations, and leukocytosis. If these symptoms occur, discontinue l-tryptophan.
Potential Nursing DiagnosesDeficient knowledge, related to medication regimen (Patient/Family Teaching)
- Oral: Administer without regard to food.
- Instruct patient to take as directed; do not take more than directed.
- Advise patient to notify health care professional of symptoms of esosinophilia-myalgia sydrome occur.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Improvement in insomnia and premenstrual disorder.
The biologically active form of the amino acid tryptophan. It is sold as a dietary supplement for use as a sleep aid and mood enhancer.