jarda

(redirected from Khaini)

jarda

A form of tobacco abuse in rural north India, in which the tobacco is mixed with lime and kept between the lip and gum. It is more damaging than chewing tobacco, and causes serious gingival ulceration.
References in periodicals archive ?
The government has decided to issue a notification banning the sale, purchase and even storage of all forms of chewable tobacco like gutkha , khaini and zarda in the city.
Some students have been caught using Chaini Khaini (chewing tobacco), which is not listed under the illegal drug list but is still dangerous for children.
Considering the increase in the average speed of packing machines, the Government has revised the capacity of production and consequently increased the duty applicable to pan masala and tobacco products including gutka, chewing tobacco, unmanufactured tobacco and filter khaini packed in pouches with the aid of packaging machines etc.
The state government had previously levied a 30 per cent tax on tobacco products to discourage usage but its sudden move to keep the raw tobacco -- more popularly known as Khaini -- out of tax net has surprised all.
Of the nearly 35 percent of Indian adults, who are current tobacco users, 21 percent used smokeless tobacco products like gutkha, zarda and khaini, which are chewed orally.
In the UK there are over 100 different products other than cigarettes that contain damaging tobacco, including Shisha or Hookah, nasal snuff, Gutkha, Zarda and Khaini.
So-called 'niche' tobaccos include chewing tobaccos called gutkha, zarda and khaini, which are sold widely amongst the ethnic communities in South Liverpool, can deliver a nicotine hit equivalent to 100 cigarettes.
But in India, cigarettes represent only 15% of India's total tobacco consumption; the remaining 85% is fragmented among popular tobacco products such as bidis (37%), hookah tobacco (water pipes), and chewing products such as khaini, zarda, gutkha, (NOTE--SPELLINGS ARE CORRECT) etc (48%)--the figures come from GPIL.
Paradoxically, the pied-piper's political journey has now ended in jail, where he will have to spend the next five years without eating his favourite onion, pn (betel leaf) and khaini (lime laced raw tobacco).
Of the nearly 35% of Indian adults, who are current tobacco users, 21% used smokeless tobacco products like gutkha, zarda and khaini, which are chewed orally.
The organisation has given out a warning to people who use Gutkha, Zarda, Khaini, nasal snuff, Biri or Beedi cigarettes, shisha or hookah pipes.