invert(redirected from Inverted commas)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. In chemistry, subjected to inversion, for example, invert sugar.
2. To reverse in direction, sequence, or effect.
3. Archaic term for a homosexual.See: inversion.
Farlex Partner Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
v. in·verted, in·verting, in·verts
1. To turn inside out or upside down: invert an hourglass.
2. To reverse the position, order, or condition of: invert the subject and predicate of a sentence.
a. One who takes on the gender role of the opposite sex.
b. In the theory of Sigmund Freud, a homosexual person. No longer in scientific use.
The American Heritage® Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2007, 2004 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
1. To turn inside out or upside down.
2. To bend the foot in at the ankle so that the sole is facing toward the inside of the leg.
Medical Dictionary, © 2009 Farlex and Partners