homelessness

(redirected from Homeless people)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.

homelessness

The state of not having a home. The homeless include people who have a roof over their heads, but no rights to stay where they live, such as squatters or those whose current residence is unsuitable for them.

homelessness

Social medicine A state of disenfranchisement, in which a person's lack a permanent residence, often living on the streets without protection from the environment and/or ready access to sanitation facilities. See 'Fourth World. ', Shelterization. Cf Refugee.

homeless

(hōm′lĕs)
Having no permanent or usual domicile. The homeless are often economically disadvantaged, socially isolated, unemployed, and/or uninsured. They may have limited access to preventive and acute health care and may suffer from untreated acute, chronic, or infectious illnesses. Homelessness is associated with a marked increase in mortality. The incidence of homelessness in the U.S. population is estimated to be nearly 1%. Internet resources on homelessness include the webpage of the National Coalition for the Homeless (www.nationalhomeless.org/factsheets/).
homelessness (hōm′lĕs-nĕs)
References in periodicals archive ?
Table 1 presents some differences observed between homeless people who had consumed excessive alcohol at some point in their lives and homeless people who had not.
The majority of respondents argued that social, psychological, and legal problems are the main reasons that it is difficult for homeless people to extricate themselves.
In the cities where we run clinics, we estimate that we are only servicing around 40% of homeless people, leaving 60% who may desperately need our help who we are not reaching.
Single homeless people place the highest demand on the Erimus Homeless Team but assisting them has been difficult because they do not usually have the necessary priority under homeless legislation, and because there has been a reduction in local accommodation options." * Call Matt Fowler on 01642 351976 for more information on the project.
Rushton said, "We have to figure out a source of revenue," both to find housing for those in the triage center, and for expiring federal rental subsidies for formerly homeless people in apartments.
Health problems can severely affect homeless people's quality of life and limit their ability to access routes out of homelessness.
It won't just give homeless people the pleasure of sitting in their own living room.
New York City officials had forbidden the congregation to permit homeless people to sleep on its steps and the sidewalk in front of the church.
Mentally ill homeless people are more likely to return to community ambulatory care centers for needed care if they have a strong collaborative relationship with their case manager, reported Mayur M.
Ten minutes later we are greeted with traditional bowing and a business card exchange by the man that we came to meet--Shoji Sano, publisher of The Big Issue Japan, a street magazine sold by homeless people in the UK, Australia, South Africa, and most recently, Japan.
Research into homelessness by social work and social policy scholars has focused on the psychological, economic and social dimensions of the problem, and recommendations for responding to the needs of homeless people have usually stressed the importance of social and psychological treatments and interventions.

Full browser ?