hemiplegic migraine

Also found in: Acronyms.

hem·i·ple·gic mi·graine

a form associated with transient hemiplegia.
References in periodicals archive ?
Familial hemiplegic migraine and episodic ataxia type-2 are caused by mutations in the Ca2+ channel gene CACNL1A4," Cell, vol.
Mitochondrial myopathy, encephalopathy, lactic acidosis, and stroke-like episodes (MELAS), cerebral autosomal dominant arteriopathy with subcortical infarcts and leukoencephalopathy (CADASIL), [sup][19] familial hemiplegic migraine, [sup][20] PRES, and tumor recurrence are the five alternative diagnoses most strongly favored in the initial evaluation.
1996) Familial hemiplegic migraine and episodic ataxia type-2 are caused by mutations in the [Ca.
A spokesman for The Migraine Trust charity said: "A person with hemiplegic migraine will experience a temporary weakness on one side of their body as part of their migraine attack.
The discovery came after neurologist Michel Ferrari of Leiden University Medical Center in the Netherlands happened to see two patients on the same day with familial hemiplegic migraine.
Hemiplegic migraine symptoms include temporary paralysis down one side of the body, vertigo or difficulty walking, double vision or blindness, hearing impairment and numbness around the mouth, leading to trouble speaking or swallowing.
Mailed questionnaires completed by 75 patients with familial hemiplegic migraine (FHM) indicated that 63% experience between 1 and 12 triggers, whereas the remaining 37% said no environmental triggers precede their attacks, Dr.
Hemiplegic migraine in childhood: diagnostic and therapeutic aspects.
The hemiplegic migraine can cause temporary one sided paralysis and sometimes loss of balance and dizziness," says Dr Gupta.
Eventually, hemiplegic migraine was diagnosed on the basis of negative investigations and a retrospective history of the patient's migraine.
Dr Terry Stuart, a GP and stress expert from Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan, said it was not unusual for a hemiplegic migraine - in which blood supply to one side of the brain is reduced and which can lead to temporary paralysis to half the body - to be caused by stress.
They may experience fewer severe manifestations such as basilar migraine, hemiplegic migraine, and migrainous infarction.